Red Sox Predictions: 5 possible landing spots for Jackie Bradley Jr.
By Tim Starr
New York Mets
The New York Mets center-fielder in 2019 was Juan Lagares who had a -0.7 WAR. With Lagares hitting the free-agent market, the Mets could use a definitive upgrade at the position.
Bradley obviously didn’t set the world on fire, but wouldn’t lose the Mets games as he had a 2 WAR in 2019. Though last year was a bad season – a better campaign could come as displayed in 2016.
More from Red Sox News
- Rich Hill’s Red Sox departure puts him within striking distance of unique MLB record
- Red Sox offseason takes another nasty hit with Nathan Eovaldi departure
- Why Red Sox fans should be rooting for Carlos Correa’s Mets deal to go through
- Red Sox exec claims Mookie Betts loss changed management style, but actions say otherwise
- How realistic are the Boston Red Sox/Chris Sale trade rumors?
The Mets have depleted their farm system the past few years in the Robinson Cano and Marcus Stroman trades. If they displayed an interest in taking Bradley off Boston’s hands, it wouldn’t require a haul of prospects.
Giving up a prospect for one year of Bradley may not entice the Mets though. Perhaps, if signed to an extension and then traded, the Mets may jump at the chance for Jackie. A 3-year, $20 million dollar contract may be enough for a JBJ extension.
Being a fringe contender in 2019, Bradley could be the finishing touch that pushes the Mets into a Wild Card berth. If the Mets could swing into the postseason, they could make a deep run, especially with their powerful starting rotation.
Overall, this trade has a very good chance of happening because the Red Sox are seemingly desperately shopping Bradley in order to cut payroll. The Mets have a hole in center field which could be fulfilled, while also helping out the Red Sox financially.