The Boston Red Sox should do anything they can to keep either Mookie Betts or J.D. Martinez. Sam Kennedy believes they can keep both but it will be tough.
With the Boston Red Sox not making the playoffs, the focus is on the 2020 baseball season. It was a very disappointing year for this team and going into next year the expectations will be winning a World Series, of course. There could be some big changes this offseason, especially with the potential loss of Mookie Betts, J.D. Martinez or both. The rumor is that they won’t be able to afford both superstars and it could be a very different Sox team in 2020.
Both Betts and Martinez have meant a lot to the Red Sox organization. They each played a big role in the championship last year. Losing either one or both could be a big loss to the lineup going into the next season. They combined for 65 home runs this season and 185 RBI’s. That’s a lot of home runs and RBI’s that will be missed next year if neither are here.
According to WEEI’s Rob Bradford, Red Sox CEO Sam Kennedy told the media on Monday that he remains positive that they can keep both.
"“Yes, there’s a way. There is a way,” said Kennedy. “But obviously, it will be difficult given the nature of the agreements and the contracts that we have in place.”"
Honestly, the Red Sox should do everything they can to keep one if they can’t keep both. After Sunday’s game, Martinez told reporters that he doesn’t think the Sox will be able to afford Betts, according to John Tomase of NBC Sports Boston.
"“I think everyone knows we don’t think they’re going to be able to afford Mookie,” said Martinez. “It’s one of those things. It’s kind of hard to have three guys making $30 million on your team. He deserves it. He’s earned it.”"
There’s no doubt that Betts deserves $30 million but the question remains, will the Sox keep him? Does Betts even want to stay? They’ll offer Betts a contract and if he accepts, great. If not, he’ll go out into the market to get the best deal he can. As for Martinez, he’s going to take some time to decide whether to opt-in or test the open market.
"“I don’t know. I’m just going to be sitting at home just kind of hanging out and talking to Scott, and coming up with a decision,” said Martinez. “That’s really how it will go down, I would imagine. … I can’t spill my beans just yet. We’ll see what happens.”"
It certainly does seem that Betts and Martinez will test the open market based on their comments after the season ended. Both players love the Red Sox and appreciated their time here but if they can go to a team offering more money, they will.
As for the Sox, they really need to do what they can to keep either Betts or Martinez because that’s a huge loss in the lineup that could hurt them in the long run in 2020 for many seasons to come.