December 6th, 2016: Red Sox acquire Tyler Thornburg from the Brewers for 3B Travis Shaw, SS Mauricio Dubon, RHP Josh Pennington, SS Yeison Coca
If there was one trade Red Sox fans could reverse and never think about, it would be this one. Not only has Thornburg been injured and awful for the Red Sox so far, but Travis Shaw has turned into a good third baseman for the Brewers.
More from Red Sox Prospects
- Predicting Red Sox top prospect Marcelo Mayer’s timeline to the majors
- Red Sox risk repeating rookie mistake with Eric Hosmer release
- Red Sox invited group of players you’ve probably never heard of to Spring Training
- Jeter Downs’ official departure will continue to haunt Red Sox
- 3 players the Red Sox could’ve DFA’ed instead of Jeter Downs and Eric Hosmer
In addition to Shaw thriving, Dubon’s prospect status has risen despite an injury this season. Both Coca and Pennington have not done much for Milwaukee in the minors, but does that really matter? The Red Sox have gotten pretty much nothing from this trade, while the Brewers have gotten a third baseman with an OPS over .800 the past two seasons.
The one final hope for the Red Sox is the chance that Thornburg comes back next year and possibly finds his old form to a point. Considering it has been two seasons since he last pitched well, that seems unlikely.
Who won this trade?
The Brewers, and it is not close.