When will the Boston Red Sox play postseason games? Major League Baseball gave us a clue by announcing the dates and times of their playoff schedule.
The Boston Red Sox haven’t quite clinched their spot in the postseason yet but they may as well have.
Entering this weekend’s four-game series with the New York Yankees, Boston holds a 5.5 game lead over their rivals in the AL East. MLB.com projects the Red Sox to have a 100 percent chance of reaching the postseason, with a 71.9% chance of winning the division and a 28.1% chance at the Wild Card.
These projections are based on simulations by FanGraphs using factors such as run differential, rosters and remaining schedule. Technically, the Red Sox could miss the playoffs. The Oakland A’s, the top AL team currently sitting outside a postseason spot, are 12 games behind Boston in the loss column. None of the simulations had the A’s making up that much ground to knock the Red Sox out of October but it is mathematically possible.
They say not to count your chickens before they hatch yet at this point it seems safe to say the Red Sox will be playing postseason games this October.
Now we just need to figure out when those games will be played. The exact times will need to wait until playoff seeding is sorted out. However, we now know the dates the Red Sox will begin postseason action based on the schedule released by Major League Baseball.
The AL Wild Card Game will be played on Wednesday, October 3. Hopefully, the Red Sox won’t be participating in that game. We don’t want our season coming down to a one-game playoff, which makes winning the division a priority.
More from Red Sox News
- Red Sox Nation deserves far more from Fenway Sports Group
- Bizarre trade deadline comes back to haunt Red Sox after Nathan Eovaldi departure
- Red Sox’ Moneyball-style offseason continues with Corey Kluber contract
- Rich Hill’s Red Sox departure puts him within striking distance of unique MLB record
- Red Sox offseason takes another nasty hit with Nathan Eovaldi departure
If the Red Sox win their division or advance in the Wild Card round then they will play Game 1 of the ALDS on Friday, October 5. The Red Sox currently have the league’s best record and if they retain that status then this game will be held at Fenway Park. Game 2 will follow the next day before an off day for travel. Game 3 will feature a change in venue on Monday, October 8, followed by Game 4 on October 9, if necessary. If the best-of-five series goes the distance then the team with home-field advantage will host Game 5 on Thursday, October 11.
Boston has been bounced from the playoffs in the Divisional round in each of the last two years. With an improved roster threatening to set a new franchise record in wins, we expect this team to go further this year.
Game 1 of the ALCS will be held on Saturday, October 13 with Game 2 the next day. Those games will be at Fenway if the Red Sox advance to this round and hold on to the league’s best record. Otherwise, the location will depend on the opponent. Monday will be a travel day, followed by Games 3 and 4 on October 16 and 17 respectively. Game 5 would be on October 18, if necessary. If the series goes to six or seven games then the final two games will shift back to the team with home-field advantage on October 20 and 21.
Then comes the big stage. The Fall Classic. The World Series.
Game 1 of the World Series will be Tuesday, October 23 with Game 2 the next night. A travel day breaks up the series before Game 3, 4, and 5 from October 26-28. Assuming the series lasts that long. After all, Boston has swept a pair of World Series in this century.
If Games 6 and 7 are necessary then they will be held on October 30 and 31. That’s right, we have a potential Game 7 of the World Series that would be held on Halloween night! Hopefully, that will be a night that ends with treats for Red Sox fans instead of tricks.