Third base in Pawtucket may be a position that is assigned to only those with the surname Dominguez. In 2016 Chris Dominguez played some third for the PawSox and this season 27-year-old Matt Dominguez may start the season at the hot corner for Pawtucket.
More from Red Sox News
- Red Sox’ Moneyball-style offseason continues with Corey Kluber contract
- Rich Hill’s Red Sox departure puts him within striking distance of unique MLB record
- Red Sox offseason takes another nasty hit with Nathan Eovaldi departure
- Why Red Sox fans should be rooting for Carlos Correa’s Mets deal to go through
- Red Sox exec claims Mookie Betts loss changed management style, but actions say otherwise
Dominguez is a former first-round pick by the Marlins who has a .231 career average in 321 major league games. Matt D. has some clout with 42 career home runs for the right-handed hitter. Since his Miami days, Dominguez has gone to the Astros, Brewers and Toronto organizations with Toronto letting him go the free agent route.
The current status of Pablo Sandoval certainly puts a damper on Dominguez within the Boston organization. That, however, does not mean a dead-end for a player that should be in his prime. The track history may open up a pathway to the majors. A concern could be a -6.8 UZR/150 for his career, but Dominguez did have two full seasons with Houston that produced 37 home runs.
Dominguez will eventually get another call to “The Show” providing he hits with authority at Pawtucket. For Boston, the depth chart at third provides far more viable options so that is in all likelihood closed.