Sep 13, 2015; St. Petersburg, FL, USA; Boston Red Sox center fielderMookie Betts
(50) makes a diving catch against the Tampa Bay Rays at Tropicana Field. The Red Sox won 2-0. Mandatory Credit: Jeff Griffith-USA TODAY Sports
Center fielders have been very significant for each team in the American League East division in 2015. From spectacular catches in the field to solid offense at the plate and on the base paths, these men have shown what it takes to play the position in the majors. They are the standard that all other center fielders in the minors wish they could be.
More from Red Sox History
- Two notable Red Sox anniversaries highlight current organizational failures
- Contemporary Era Committee doesn’t elect any former Red Sox to Hall of Fame
- Johnny Damon calls Red Sox out, reveals hilarious way he skirted Yankees’ grooming policy
- Remembering the best Red Sox Thanksgiving ever
- Red Sox World Series legends headline 2023 Hall of Fame ballot
It didn’t happen overnight, but some of these players have rocketed to stardom quickly for their respective teams. Some of them were established veterans who have been consistently performing for many years. However, all of these men have established themselves as essential to their clubs for many years to come.
Here is a ranking of the top five center fielders in the division. Each chosen player played the position the most for their club and appear at the top of their depth charts. The players were ranked based on both offensive results, defensive skills, and ‘it’ factors:
** All statistics come from MLB.com, not counting the last game of the regular season