Aug 18, 2015; Boston, MA, USA; Boston Red Sox relief pitcher Jean Machi (64) pitches during the ninth inning against the Cleveland Indians at Fenway Park. Mandatory Credit: Bob DeChiara-USA TODAY Sports
Game notes, miscellaneous, report card
* The Mets real name is New York Metropolitans – a 19th century team from New York.
* The Red Sox are 8-2 in interleague play in games David Ortiz has started at first.
* The Mets uniforms incorporate the colors of the Brooklyn Dodgers (Blue) and New York Giants (Orange).
* Bogaerts hit streak was stopped at nine games.
* A Shaw double broke a 1-17 slump.
* Hal Wagner was the last Red Sox catcher to hit an inside the park home run (7/7/46).
* Rickey Henderson and Pedro Martinez are the only HOF players to play for the Red Sox and Mets.
* Since 2003 the Red Sox own the best Interleague record (149-87).
* Bob Murphy, former Mets broadcaster, is in the HOF. His first MLB job was with the Red Sox.
* The Mets staff has the second lowest BB/9 (2.41) in the NL.
* Les Rohr (2-3, 3.70) was the first draft pick in Mets history. Rohr is also the only player in Mets history born in England.
* Darryl Strawberry (252) is the Mets all-time home run leader.
* The Mets staff has the highest NL batting average for pitchers (.169).
* Citi Field has all green seats. Same as the Mets original home – The Polo Grounds.
* The last Mets-Red Sox trade was Kelly Shoppach for Pedro Beato (2012).
* Since 2003 Boston is 47-22 when Ortiz starts at 1B in an NL park. Boston is 21-28 when he sits.
HP ump John Tumpane put the squeeze on Kelly in the first that contributed to 30 pitches needed. The rest of the way Kelly was outstanding mixing in his change and curve with his high 90s fastball. The line is 7.1 IP, 5 H, R, 2 BB, 2 K and 102 pitches. For Kelly his record is now 8-6 with six wins in August. If you follow James’ game scores it was 64 – same as deGrom. Kelly’s effort finally got his ERA under 5.00 (4.94).
Layne went 0.2 with a walk and a strikeout. Machi pitched a clean ninth. This certainly was needed as the fear of a great Kelly performance being wasted by a bullpen blowup never happened.
The Red Sox could not avoid the K’s out of the Mets rotation and bullpen. The final tally was 16 as Boston hitters appeared over matched in most situations. Betts had a pair of hits including a rally starting single and a solo home run. Panda had a key double to drive in the first run, but Boston was 1-11 RISP.
More from BoSox Injection
- Red Sox Nation deserves far more from Fenway Sports Group
- Bizarre trade deadline comes back to haunt Red Sox after Nathan Eovaldi departure
- Red Sox’ Moneyball-style offseason continues with Corey Kluber contract
- Rich Hill’s Red Sox departure puts him within striking distance of unique MLB record
- Red Sox offseason takes another nasty hit with Nathan Eovaldi departure