Aug 18, 2015; Boston, MA, USA; Boston Red Sox third baseman Pablo Sandoval (48) fields a ground ball during the first inning against the Cleveland Indians at Fenway Park. Mandatory Credit: Bob DeChiara-USA TODAY Sports
Game notes, miscellaneous and report cards
* Quality defensive play in the second by Pablo Sandoval. A dive to his left and precision toss to first. Another one in the sixth.
* On this day in 1919 Babe Ruth hit his fourth grand slam of the season. A Red Sox record.
* The Royals are named after American Royal – a KC livestock and horse show.
* Tomorrow, 8/24/1940, represents the only time Ted Williams pitched in MLB. Two innings allowing one run.
* Orlando Cepeda is the only HOF player to play for the Red Sox and Royals.
* Red Sox lead AL in home BA at .292.
* The KC bullpen is ranked third in the AL. Boston’s is last.
* The Royals like to swing. They are ranked last in AL BB% at 6.0.
* The Royals lead the AL in UZR/150.
* Fielding metrics? Outfield UZR/150 for Bradley is 11.8. Brock Holt is 18.3.
* Old Municipal Stadium in KC was the location of the only home run ever hit by Dick Radatz.
* 32 of the 124 Red Sox pitching starts have been with rookies (26%).
* Municipal was also the last MLB appearance for Satchel Paige as he pitched three innings of no runs and one hit ball against Boston.
* Paige is buried in Kansas City.
* One of the must see baseball tours is the Negro League Museum in KC.
* Boston leads all MLB teams in day game runs per game average (5.4).
Home plate umpire Mike Everitt displayed one of the most inconsistently established strike zones I have witnessed this season. Everitt limited this (thankfully) to the low pitches. A ball on one pitch and a strike on the next. At least both pitchers were treated with equality. Now to Rodriguez. E-Rod was coming off a 114 pitch game, so his pitch count would be observed carefully. A 30 pitch sixth finished off Rodriguez. Two earned runs, no walks, one strikeout and seven hits. A good, but not spectacular outing.
Ogando gave up a hit and hit a batter in his 0.2 innings. Layne finished off the last 0.1 for a no run inning. Layne then went 0.2 in the eight beforeJean Machi
went 0.1 for no damage. The Tazawa line (1 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 1 BB) BS-6, loss 2-6.
Castillo now has a eight game streak.Xander Bogaerts
is at five games with a first inning single. Bradley continued his extra base torment of pitchers with a pair of doubles. That translates to 11 XBH’s in last 12 hits. Sandoval had a stellar all around game with a pair of hits and an RBI. Several great defensive plays. Red Sox had ten hits on the day and 3-4 RISP. Only three LOB.
More from BoSox Injection
- Red Sox Nation deserves far more from Fenway Sports Group
- Bizarre trade deadline comes back to haunt Red Sox after Nathan Eovaldi departure
- Red Sox’ Moneyball-style offseason continues with Corey Kluber contract
- Rich Hill’s Red Sox departure puts him within striking distance of unique MLB record
- Red Sox offseason takes another nasty hit with Nathan Eovaldi departure