Oct 7, 2013; St. Petersburg, FL, USA; A postseason Boston Red Sox hat, glove and ball lay on the grass prior to game three of the American League divisional series against the Tampa Bay Rays at Tropicana Field. Mandatory Credit: Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports
Base Stealer: Yoan Moncada – Greenville Drive
(13 SB/1 CS)
Number one on the MLB Prospect Watch for Boston and number ten in the collective of MLB prospects.
The story of Moncada is well known as the Red Sox have paid over 63M in bonus and penalties to acquire the now 20-year-old Cuban Phenom. Will it be worth it?
Moncada can fly on the bases and that has been demonstrated at Greenville with 33 steals in 36 attempts, but the Red Sox didn’t dish out all that loot for a one dimension player. After a slow start Moncada is now really drawing attention.
For the season Moncada is slashing .286/.380/.444 with six home runs and 31 RBI. In seven August games the average is .400 with 11 steals in 13 attempts.
The Red Sox are going slow on Moncada, but it will be interesting to see what he does in the fall league and probably at Portland next season.
More from BoSox Injection
- Bizarre trade deadline comes back to haunt Red Sox after Nathan Eovaldi departure
- Red Sox’ Moneyball-style offseason continues with Corey Kluber contract
- Rich Hill’s Red Sox departure puts him within striking distance of unique MLB record
- Red Sox offseason takes another nasty hit with Nathan Eovaldi departure
- Why Red Sox fans should be rooting for Carlos Correa’s Mets deal to go through