Justin Masterson made his first rehab start at Pawtucket on Sunday afternoon and had an inauspicious beginning against the Louisville Bats.
Maasterson led off the game by walking Irving Falu who eventually scored on a passed ball by Matt Spring for an unearned run. The second inning showed no improvement and Masterson did not make it out of the inning.
Masterson copied his first inning by walking Jermaine Curtis. Ramon Cabrera followed with a single and a wild pitch brought Curtis home. Masterson tossed another wild pitch and gave up a double before being replaced by Zeke Spruill.
Masterson was scheduled for three innings, but his pitch count hit 50 (30 strikes) and he was done for the afternoon going 1.2 innings, allowing two hits, three walks, two strikeouts and three runs (two earned). Masterson took the loss in the 5-1 Bats victory.
More from BoSox Injection
- Red Sox Nation deserves far more from Fenway Sports Group
- Bizarre trade deadline comes back to haunt Red Sox after Nathan Eovaldi departure
- Red Sox’ Moneyball-style offseason continues with Corey Kluber contract
- Rich Hill’s Red Sox departure puts him within striking distance of unique MLB record
- Red Sox offseason takes another nasty hit with Nathan Eovaldi departure