It’s tough to argue that any off-season acquisition has had a larger impact than Hanley Ramirez so far this season.
During his time at the plate, Hanley has smacked six home runs so far, and has shown signs of being the player that the Red Sox were hoping to get when they acquired him over the off-season.
More from BoSox Injection
- Red Sox Nation deserves far more from Fenway Sports Group
- Bizarre trade deadline comes back to haunt Red Sox after Nathan Eovaldi departure
- Red Sox’ Moneyball-style offseason continues with Corey Kluber contract
- Rich Hill’s Red Sox departure puts him within striking distance of unique MLB record
- Red Sox offseason takes another nasty hit with Nathan Eovaldi departure
One small detail of Hanley’s play, however, has caught some strange attention. If you’ve watched Hanley at the plate, or making his way around the bases, then chances are you’ve seen the 31-year old’s helmet come flying off. This happened recently during Friday night’s 7-5 victory over the Orioles, in which David Ortiz and Hanley Ramirez went back-to-back in the fifth inning.
Hanley delivered a swing so powerful that it sent his helmet flying off of his head, leaving Ramirez to trot around the bases, his dreads bouncing with every step.
This has become such a common occurrence that a fan who clearly has too much time on their hands created a Twitter account dedicated to, yes, Hanley Ramirez’ batting helmet.
The account, @HanleysHelmet, is dedicated to chronicling the life of Hanley’s loosely-fitting helmet. Fly on, helmet, and keep giving Hanley power.