Boston Red Sox promote Mookie Betts
The Red Sox have announced that Mookie Betts, age 21, has been promoted from Portland to Pawtucket.
More from Red Sox News
- Red Sox Nation deserves far more from Fenway Sports Group
- Bizarre trade deadline comes back to haunt Red Sox after Nathan Eovaldi departure
- Red Sox’ Moneyball-style offseason continues with Corey Kluber contract
- Rich Hill’s Red Sox departure puts him within striking distance of unique MLB record
- Red Sox offseason takes another nasty hit with Nathan Eovaldi departure
Betts is the fast rising star in the Red Sox system and was slashing .355/.443/.551 at Portland with six home runs and 34 RBI. Betts also demonstrated his speed with 22 steals while only being nabbed three times.
Betts has continued to show his plate patience with 35 walks and only 20 strikeouts while at Portland.
Betts has seen considerable service time at center field and not second base and with his arrival in Pawtucket that will be worth watching. The assumption is the athletic Betts will see outfield duty at all three positions.
Betts was signed in 2011 and is now currently ranked as Boston’s number one minor league prospect thanks to his mercurial rise through the system. The diminutive Betts, at 5’9” and 156 pounds, has improved with each stop and now will be tested at the Triple-A level.
Betts will not be needed to be placed on the 40-man roster until after the 2015 season.