Following Yankees pitcher Michael Pineda’s 10-game suspension, BSI’s Pine Tar Chronicles featured viewpoints for and against the use of pine tar in baseball, plus the reactions of former pro pitchers to the sticky subject and one writer’s story about learning the tricks of the trade. Which side of the fence are you on?
What should Major League Baseball do about pine tar in the future?
- Aggressively enforce literal rule (umpire mound visits, one-strike policy, ejection, lengthy suspension) (21%, 9 Votes)
- Enforce the literal rule (ejection, suspension when opposing manager complains) (26%, 11 Votes)
- Status quo (don't be obvious about it and you won't get caught) (26%, 11 Votes)
- Amend rule; allow use of pine tar, other substances for grip (21%, 9 Votes)
- Encourage use of pine tar (right alongside rosin bag) (6%, 3 Votes)
Total Voters: 43