Gonzalez Blames the Monster, Beckett Seems Happy & Cherington Won't Bridge


It is Monday and the work week has begun, but that doesn’t mean the reaction from the blockbuster deal has been smothered out.  Rather, it is still blazing across Red Sox Nation with talk radio hosts getting their first chance to discuss the shocking trade and we have now heard from the man responsible for the deal along with those that were sent to the West Coast.  Caution, the comments from Adrian Gonzalez may be surprising.

Let’s start with Cherington.  The term “bridge year’ has been used over the course of this season and it’s also been the 2013 season label.  But the GM with brass fortitude refuses to coin the term “bridge year” when looking ahead.  Instead, he is already trying to figure out who is going to fill some holes that were left by the four departing players.  Internal prospects will get their shot at cracking the big club, but Cherington is also quick to mention that the money that was sent to LA will provide some financial flexibility to re-tool the Red Sox roster.

“We don’t know exactly when these [prospects] will show up or if they’ll show up — that’s the nature of the beast,” Cherington said. “In the meantime, we’re going to do whatever we can to build the best team we can for 2013. That will certainly involve looking outside the organization, too.” – courtesy of NESN.

Cherington also joked that the Carmine hated the deal (referring to the computer program that the Red Sox use to make evaluations). At least we know Ben doesn’t listen strictly to the Carmine.

It’s also interesting to learn that the trade dialogue between the Red Sox and Dodgers started back in June when Kevin Youkilis was still wearing a Boston uniform. When Youkilis was dealt to Chicago, the trade talks never died with the Dodgers and ramped up again prior to the July 31 deadline when it was made public that Boston was looking to deal Beckett.

“Over time, and then recently, earlier this week, those conversations kind of gelled into more firm concepts, talking about what a trade might look like,” Cherington said. “We were able to pull it off. There wasn’t one moment. It’s a process that started earlier in the year and involved a lot of conversations, a lot of ideas going back and forth, and ultimately led to this.”

One could argue that Kevin Youkilis was the initial pawn that started the rebuilding process in Boston.  His deal to Chicago paved the way to the Dodgers wanting Gonzalez and perhaps being forced to take Beckett and Crawford.

Josh Beckett has spoken to reporters more times in three days in LA than he has in the past month when he was in Boston.  He seems happy, rejuvenated and excited about his future in Dodger blue and it’s safe to say the feeling is mutual with Red Sox fans.

But that didn’t stop the former World Series MVP from thanking the Sox fans for the memories over his seven years in Boston and he did so by creating a Twitter account.  He wouldn’t dare do that when he was still a member of the Red Sox, but then again he didn’t like to talk to the media a day before his starts when he was here either.  Alas Beckett referred back to the distractions off the field that he partially blames for his poor on field performances.

“There’s definitely some other exterior distractions that make it difficult.  There was just a lot of stuff.” – courtesy of the Boston Globe.

There’s the old Beckett that Boston remembers from this year.  All eyes will be on him as he makes his highly anticipated Dodger debut Monday night in Colorado.

Beckett’s comments are understandable, after all he had worn out his welcome in Boston and needed to move on.  But the most confusing comments came from Adrian Gonzalez.

Now, for the record, I like Gonzalez as a player and I wish him nothing but success in LA.  He is one of the best hitters with runners in scoring position and he will be missed.  So to hear his comments about the reasons why his power numbers are down are mind boggling.  Has he been hanging around Josh Beckett too long and the negativity crept in?

“What took my power away was the Green Monster,” he said of the 37-foot wall at Boston’s Fenway Park, also according to the Times. “I used to hit line drives and they would be doubles. That took away five home runs from me last year. So I would have 32.”

This is the same guy who was said to be built to hit at Fenway despite hitting an average of 32 homers at the pitcher friendly Petco Park in San Diego.  Last time I checked, Fenway is a more hitter friendly park than Petco.

Gonzalez continued to voice his displeasure with his time in Boston by firing back at the media, saying they twisted his image.

“They didn’t like that I was a calm person,” Gonzalez said, according to the Los Angeles Times. “I won’t throw my helmet, I won’t scream, I won’t use bad words if I strike out. That’s what they want over there. “You can’t control what others say,” he added. “I was the same person in San Diego. They took me over there and I didn’t change. My intensity, how I prepared, everything was the same. When they took me over there, they took me over there to drive in runs. And I did that.” – courtesy of NESN.

One could link his lack of power to the media scrutiny, making him an easy target for the fishbowl media that can be relentless on a good day.

In the end, it was a deal that needed to be made when looking at the financials and how that would limit Boston’s ability in the near future.  A .500 team is unacceptable and while a World Series birth every year is not realistic, a competitive team on the field is.  Cherington now has the ability to reshape his club and put the best team possible on the field thanks to this move.  Feedback and comments will continue to roll in well into this week and reaction to Beckett and Gonzo’s comments will surely bring on debate.  With the Sox all but out of the postseason hunt, debate may be all we have left.

 

 

Next Red Sox Game View full schedule »
Tuesday, Sep 22 Sep7:05at New York YankeesBuy Tickets

Tags: Adrian Gonzalez Boston Red Sox Josh Beckett

  • John Fahrer

    Re-sign Ross and Ortiz. Sign Swisher to play first. Sign Napoli to platoon with Lavarnway and spot a few games at first and DH. Give Dan Haren or Jake Peavy an incentive-laden one year deal with a player option for 2014 (both will likely be let go by their current clubs) similar to what they gave Beltre in 2010. Trade Sweeney, Aviles, Saltalamacchia, Lackey, and 2/3 of the remaining owed salary to Pittsburgh for pitching prospects Luis Heredia and Nick Kingham.

    2013 lineup: Bench:
    CF-Ellsbury IF-Ciriaco
    2B-Pedroia OF-Nava
    DH-Ortiz OF/1B-Sands
    1B-Swisher C-Lavarnway/Napoli
    RF-Ross
    3B-Middlebrooks
    LF-Kalish
    C-Lavarnway/Napoli
    SS-Iglesias

    Rotation:
    SP-Haren/Peavy
    SP-Buchholz
    SP-Lester
    SP-Doubront
    SP-Morales

  • boxajoe

    Adrian is right, in Boston if you are a calm person, you appear weak. They are used to high intensity people and if your not, it can easily be interpeted as you don’t care.

    • DStykalo

      Ya, I’ll agree with that Boxajoe, but the whole Monster being the reason his power is down, I’m not sure I’m buying that. None the less, I have no ill will to Adrian and as I said, I wish him nothing but success in LA. He looks quite comfortable there already.

      • John Fahrer

        I can sort of believe that claim, though I agree it’s a lame excuse. Opposite field power left-handed bats are a foil to pull-hitter right-handed bats. Gonzo just wasn’t able to get enough loft when he sent the ball the other way. As a result, the homers went down and the doubles went up.